Organizing and Managing projects

Hi,

I created a Student Council video project that I kind of used a template (I would open it then click “Save As” for the new project. It is in a folder titled 2019-2020. I created a new folder for 2020-2021 but cannot move my project to the new folder. When I go to projects these are my only options:

(Open Edit, Finalize Video, Rename, Duplicate, Delete). There is not an option for Move. I tried dragging and dropping but that didn’t work either. This seems like a basic feature. I can move Media but not Projects. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your help!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting here @steven.kless I have a few resources to share. This Tips & Tricks session has some great insights:

Also check out this support article:

I can also loop in a few of our Ambassadors. Maybe @jose.m.rincon.1 @kim.mattina @diane.wright or @cheryl.torrie can help. Connect with all fo them here:

1 Like

Hi Jeremie,
Thanks for your reply. These articles are about moving media to different folders.I want to know how to move projects (ones that I am working on) into different folders. Any insight?

1 Like

Hi Steven! I am able to replicate what you are referring to. When I open a project and do a save as, it saves it in the existing project. It does not prompt me to save it in a new project. I am wondering if that is something that should be considered for feedback. What are your thoughts ? @jeremie.gluckman

1 Like

I’d like to be able to organize my existing projects b/c sometimes I re-use them. I’d like to be able to move them to new folders eg. Student Council 2019 to Student Council 2020, but cannot figure out how to do so. Save As does not give you an option as to where to save the project. Also, after I’ve finished and exported a project do I still need to keep it.

1 Like

Yes, I totally get it and agree. I am not sure if this can be sent to the team for feedback. I am not seeing that option anywhere either, but maybe @jeremie.gluckman or someone else has another suggestion or workaround. It seems to make sense to be able to organize your projects and move, copy objects around.

1 Like

I have this issue as well. I want to group my projects, but there isn’t a way to move them around once they are already completed.

1 Like

@kim.mattina and @steven.kless I haven’t forgotten about you and will get feedback on this from the team.

1 Like

@steven.kless @kim.mattina @jeannine.everett I got to the bottom of it. When moving clips from one edit to another within the same project, moving clips from one edit to another that is in a different project, and moving an entire edit from one project to another project there are a couple of options.

• Select the menu icon at the top left of the editor, then click “Save as” to duplicate their edit within that project . This is helpful if you want to re-use what you’ve already created in another edit, but all of these modifications remain within the same project and you cannot save an edit into another project.
  • If you need to move clips from one project to another project, you can finish their edit so that it processes and becomes an export, then you can download the export so that afterwards you can import it as a media file into their other project. Although not ideal, this is a workaround that does allow them to move their content from one project to another.

Example - “2) Picture-in-Picture” is an edit in the “Tips & Tricks - Timeline” project

2 Likes

Thanks Jeremie,
This is what I do. Is there any way to change it so that teachers can create templates in addition to administrators? We buy as a district, so I’m not an administrator, and they won’t give me those rights. I do our morning announcements and weekly video magazine, all of which have repeating features with the same format. Having a template would really help.

1 Like

Hey @jeannine.everett Here’s what I was able to find about templates: https://wevideo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003209913-Using-Templates

Thanks Jeremie - the issue that I have is that only administrators have the option to create templates. A lot of teachers aren’t administrators of their accounts, yet it would be helpful to be able to create templates for our students. Can the option to create templates be extended to teachers?

1 Like

Thank you for the information. I will experiment with that workaround.

1 Like

Happy to help! :grinning:

@jeannine.everett That’s something the product team would have to work on. Feel free to post to the product requests forum and encourage other to vote for your idea. It might catch the team’s eye!

It would be great to be able to save/name clips back to My Media somehow…to reuse etc, without editing.

1 Like

Good point. That’s a great idea for our product requests forum @emily.shiller :smiley: